Sunday, March 29, 2009

Unique Visitors...A new definition?

I WISH!
Well, if the goal was to spark a discussion and fuel up the fireplace...mission accomplished.
Eric Peterson's post last week on "Unique Visitors Only Come In One Size has has done just that...
(http://blog.webanalyticsdemystified.com/weblog/2009/03/unique-visitors-only-come-in-one-size.html)
It's needless to say that Unique Visitors has been a top subject matter on many posts.

Over the years we have all discussed its drawbacks, using a weighted average, how to improve it, and in some ways have found ways around the metric. Plus personally, how many unique visitors I get adds no value to my ongoing analysis. I'm interested in behavior or better yet, whether they are going to accomplish what I desire and/or what the user wants...I know I am the first to use authenticated users and visits before visitors.

But this is not about me...

As someone who participates in the process, fact still remains that the individuals of the Standards Committee have taken these and a bunch of other scenarios into account.
Though I clearly see the IAB's point, a new term is in order. But to say that we are going to deny the definition that we've all used and 'grown' to know, is not going to happen.
I think that we need to validate any new proposal.
It’s not that I disagree with the IAB, it's just unrealistic at this point and at this time we are attempting to establish a common language for 'right now.'

I think its good to expect more and move the industry forward.
Do I think the two should be named differently, of course. Do I believe the industry deserves better measurement, YEP! Is it a good debate, no doubt. But boy do I have bigger fish to fry.
When we get a better metric we will use it and guess what? We would call it something else!
Why? Because even before this, the reality is that it was already confusing...

Among many parts within the post, I found the following to be interesting...
And Joe did clarify for me what a “measurement organization” is … he just didn't directly clarify the impact on web analytics vendors.

HMMM...I recall a conversation between the IAB and the Standards Committee where it was stated by the IAB that it would affect analytics vendors....perhaps I completely misunderstood.

Also, last time I checked the word Panel (used in the IAB definition) in 'our' world, it did not mean population. So...there are negatives on both ends...Plus, where's the algorithm? Let's get that going before we start calling things out. Or perhaps it exists? Be sure to let us all know. Perhaps this may be in the works?

Oh and as someone who worked for DoubleClick, Inc during the early days, I can add the important issues we have with privacy behind identity but I won't...
However, somehow it was forgotten!

There's so much work that goes into all of this and unfortunately this all has spilled over to becoming personal. I am glad to see it has tapered off, because this is all far from personal.
All I can say is, let's embrace what we do have, strive for better, enhance relationships, lead and honor those who volunteer their time just for the love of it.



This is also posted on: http://blogs.zaaz.com/zaaz/


No comments: